[Shotimes] Brake Upgrade time... again

Zach Leahy leahyz@gmail.com
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 07:53:41 -0500

I'm with Paul here, I use the brakes short and hard, why would I do any
different? Coming into corners ABS activation is just about standard, and
then Im off the brakes and into the turn, maybe trail braking just the
slightest if I need to. I try to keep my braking and turning seperated as
much as possible to be able to get either the max turning capacity or max
braking capacity on the tires.
 Report on my brakes, the KVR Carbon fiber pads I am running are bonzer on
the street (did I just say that?), but the temp range is too low for
anything greater than autocross use. They really do have great cold stopping
performance though, and when the green car was a daily driver, that was
important. They were just getting down to the rivets in the front, so they
were gone.
 The rears were 2 sets of autozone pads, never put much time into picking my
pads for the rear, just stuck with a semi metallic pad. Just thoguht "Hey,
they're rears.... how can they get?" Well I think i just wore the first set
out at the track, but the second set I believe shattered under the heat.
When I pulled the brakes a few days ago, 3 of 4 were down to metal with
exactly zero brake material left. One had about 1/4 of material left, that
was the outside driver's pad. That was where I had the one sticky (now
nicley lubed) slider pin causing some trouble. looking at the pad, it wa sa
mess, there were pieces missing and there were big cracks running through
the material. Either A) these pads are defective or, B) they got way too hot
for their intended use. i think it was B0 and it was showing me that now
with the removal of the brake bias block, I am getting a substanial bite in
the rear brakes vs that "Maybe i fyou hold the brakes real tight I can get
this lugnut off" standard brake feel.
 So I went back to Autozone with 2 boxes of pads. One the unused front and I
got those returned since I have a nearly brand new set of their front pads
in a box at home. the other the guy flipped when I told him I put them in on
thursday. I mentioned I made a few very hard stops and got the following
results. He was confused, but gave me a free replacement set anyway. I
picked up 2 new rear rotors (bummer they got scored so much, those were the
ORIGINAL rear rotors with 217,000 miles on them that I had slotted) So new
rotors and pads in the back, and I slapped on new pads in the front. Not
performance equipment, but it is now back in business as a viable source of
transport.
 Plan: Drive the car as needed for when I need a car (my 92 is currently
being used by my brother who was the meat in an SUV sandwich a couple weeks
ago), but normally I'm taking the Beemer Bike as transport as needed, you
can get a pretty amazing amount of stuff in those saddlebags. The brakes
will be determined by the availablility of funds in the future. I would like
to go to the PBR set up as it would only help. It's slightly heavier, but
I'm ok with that. It seems a good balance between something like a TCE or
Wilwood kit and my current setup. the car sees 2 or so track events a year,
but I would like to make that as many as possible (within the budget). Pads
will definitely et swapped, I am going to look strongly at maybe going to 2
seperate sets, a track and a street set, or something like a porterfield or
Hawk that can serve dual duty. For now though it's on pause til I get all
the funding squared away, and since I am not driving the car much at all,
there is no rush.