[Shotimes] Re: Bad Ball Joints or Wheel Bearings?

Ian Fisher dataflash@yahoo.com
Fri, 4 Nov 2005 04:28:19 -0800 (PST)

Yes
The wheel shaking method only works for a seriously
failed wheel bearing. The only really good way to
determine if it's bad is to remove the brakes and spin
the hub by hand. If it's not silent and smooth, the
bearing is bad. If the hub is really loose it is
probably bad as well. There might be run out specs
somewhere; you might be able to check it with a dial
indicator.

Keep in mind that when the halfshaft nut is removed, a
used bearing will have a little play in it.

Ian