[Shotimes] reverse noise

George Fourchy krazgeo@comcast.net
Tue, 08 Nov 2005 07:28:44 -0800

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 09:04:34 -0500, Zach Leahy wrote:

>Did you check to make sure you dont have a brake shield dragging on a rotor.
>Otherwise it sounds a lot like a halfshaft.

I'd agree with both these possibilities.  Find someone who can listen from the
outside, to first isolate which side it is, then whether it is from the rotor/shield
area, or an axle.  While the outside person is listening and looking closely, turn
the steering wheel back and forth while backing slowly to see what position it must
be in for the noise to occur.

Another possibility is a loose caliper.  If one bolt is loose or missing, the
caliper can be in the right place while going forward, but swing out and rub the
wheel when going backward.  I've seen a friend's SHO do that, and my truck did it
too one time, when a fastener fell off.

George