[Shotimes] reverse noise

Zach Leahy leahyz@gmail.com
Tue, 8 Nov 2005 14:29:48 -0500

Have your friend lie on the ground and then just back over him so he can
hear where the noise is coming from. usually it takes six or seven attempts
before you find the noise :)
 As for the CV, i am thinking a bad joint if it is clicking while moving and
turning. Remember that its a tripod of balls (how often do you say that in
context!) that fit inside a contoured cup. Now most of the time you apply
all the force going forward and get wear patterns going that way. When you
back up, the force in the joint is in the opposite direction, and is on
surfaces seldomly used. It's very likely then that the wear in the joint is
casuing it to click in reverse and not forward becasue of the way the joint
is worn.
 Put it on some jackstands and do two things.
 Turn the wheels all the way one way, put it in N and spin the wheels
backwards or forwards. Does it click then? I have my doubts if it is a shaft
as there is no significant force transmitted through any joint. If it does,
then you can track where it is comeing from.
Grab the axle and shake it up and down and forward and back, is there a
noticable amount of play?
 By chance do you get a shake under acceleration as well? That's a pretty
sure sign of a bad CV (one way they fail at least)