[Shotimes] SHO fire/valve cover gaskets.

Hartberger, Jason M. AT2 (AW) hartbejm@cvn71.navy.mil
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 21:55:58 -0500

Ok, everybody repeat after me: "Don't pour water on electrical fires."
I'm amazed that you didn't get zapped when you poured the first bucket
on it. I'm glad to hear that nothing too bad happened (I set my car on
fire too!), and I'm glad you realized that it was a charlie (electrical)
fire before something bad happened. Now what you do is throw the bad
alternator at your stupid neighbor! Then after he's laying unconscious
on the ground, casually yell, "that doesn't look good!" that'll teach
him. >:)

Jason Hartberger
Somewhere in the Persian gulf...

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Rcno2@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 1:29 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] SHO fire/valve cover gaskets.

So, I take my 92 for a spin around the block and notice it doesn't feel
like
its running quite right. I get her home, and pop the hood. I hear a
vacuum
leak, which can be traced to the firewall. I crawl ontop the engine to
try and
look for the disconnected hose, find it, and start to reconnect it. Then
look  down towards the front of the car and see a huge plume of smoke. I
hop off
the  engine, and the alternator has a  foot flame coming from it. Run to
the
house fill a bucket with water, and poor it all over the alt, to which
the
fire  starts again. The neighbor across the street yells "that doesn't
look
good" and  continues to rake his leaves. Fill another bucket and
realize, its
probably  electrical, so I disconnect the battery and poor the bucket of
water on
the alt,  to which the fire goes out. What's the damage? well, check the

resistance on all  the wires going to the alt, nothing faulty there, so
I replace
the alternator,  and the car runs again.... I think I need one of those
flaming
ford emblems for  the back window now....

Also, I need to do the valve cover gaskets. Anyone have a good source on
the
net for these? any companies to stay away from on them? They seem to be

rather pricey, and I only paid 250.00 for the car..so It makes it hard
to pay  200
for valve cover gaskets...LOL I've seen them for around 150.00...anyone
know
of a better deal?

Thanks
Erik