[Shotimes] SHO fire/valve cover gaskets.

av8r567@optonline.net av8r567@optonline.net
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:17:20 -0500

> I've often wonder what the unrectified AC voltage is on an alternator.

It's about 120-140V rms.

However, as you know, the alternator frequency varies with engine RPM - idle produces less than 60 Hz and high rpm produces THOUSANDS of Hz.  So, you cannot connect a 120Vac appliance without dire consequences - transformers (and motors) do not tolerate high-freq and will get HOT in a hurry!!

The perfect 60Hz will only be generated at a specific engine (and alternator) RPM.  The formula to calculate that RPM slips my mind at the moment, but IIRC I think the magic engine RPM is an RCH above idle.

That's only practical if you want to make Pina Coladas in your blender while the car is PARKED.