[Shotimes] New Headlamps

clubairth@bellsouth.net clubairth@bellsouth.net
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 12:38:13 -0500

Christina:
 I went through this about 4+ years and 65K miles ago, here is what I did:

 Purchased 2 new headlight assemblies from Ford. About $100 each back then.
I TOTALLY sealed the new headlamps with flowable silicone, including the
factory vent holes. This is sold as a windshield sealer because it will flow
into the gaps much better than the regular thick silicone in a tube.
Added a dual relay harness to get full voltage and amperage to the
headlights. Plus save the headlamp switch and dash wiring!
Finally used the non-DOT  legal 90W/100W high power bulbs from J.C. Whitney.
Did a home aiming job on my garage door using instructions/measurements from
the Helm manual.
I finally can see at night! It's not a HID setup but is so superior over the
stock setup!

 I live in South Louisiana so we get plenty of rain and humidity. The lenses
are still clear as a can be after all this time. It also seems the
replacement headlamps don't yellow as badly as the factory units.
 I was worried about heat buildup with the high wattage bulbs but have
driven as long as 12 hours straight with the lights on and no problem. The
headlamps do get pretty warm to touch.
.
.