[Shotimes] dropping shifter

Mike Wojton mwojton@gmail.com
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 16:10:25 -0400

Ok. How the heck do you drop the shifter down so the guts can be cleaned and
lubed? I thought somebody said once before that if you remove the top part
of the console you can see some screws that can be taken out to do it. When
I remove the console I don't see any screws that are accessible from inside
the car. There are 4 "carriage bolt" type fasteners that have nuts on them
from underneath, but they are between a flange and the floorpan. It looks
like they will be a royal PITA to remove. Any help appreciated.
 The reason I'm even bothering is because as I was under the car this past
weekend patching a couple small rust holes so I can get a STUPID
PENNSYLVANIA SAFETY INSPECTION STICKER...sorry...I noticed that the rod that
has the little rubber boot on it moves around quite a bit as it goes into
the box. Is this normal? I don't really think so, because my shifter is
pretty sloppy. Does this mean I need to replace the ball thing in there with
the plastic one that Shonut was selling? Or is it some loose fasteners?

--
Mike Wojton
Dover, PA

-'95 White MTX