[Shotimes] Underhood PS fluid smoke

Rich Bruso shoguy_89@cox.net
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:25:13 -0400

>In order to get those lines off, it
> seems like I'm going to have to take the rack out, right?
> Since I've previously noticed small amounts of PS fluid
> coming out of the bellows, I guess now is the time to
>replace the rack and any other lines which seem shady.
> Thanks everybody,
>  Pete

Pete,
   You don't actually have to take the rack out to get the lines off, but it does help, and if you're seeing seeping at the ends of the rack, it's time.  A few words of advice: Pay VERY close attention to how the lines are routed going up to the pump, the reservoir (from the cooler) and to the cooler.  Especially the line to the pump.  With it routed incorrectly, it's near impossible to get a straight shot into the threaded fitting at the pump, so you run the risk of cross-threading.  Ditto on both lines at the rack.  Before trying to put the lines back in the rack clean and inspect the fitting.  Make sure the threaded part spins freely on the hard line.  And make sure it's dead straight into the rack before applying any pressure.
  Also, only two lines at the rack need to be disconnected.  One has the pressure switch, and the other is right next to it.  The other lines run from the fittings there to other fittings on the rack, so they come off with the rack.
  Good luck.  That's the leak that stopped me from autocrossing the old '89 for a while.

-Rich Bruso
89 Black (Lola)
89 Silver (parts)
Sierra Vista, AZ