[Shotimes] Magazines

Ron Porter ronporter@ameritech.net
Sun, 2 Apr 2006 01:58:56 -0500

I've been subscribing to at least three mags at a time since around 1965,
and the current line-up (AW, C&D, R&T) has been around since the '70s, with
others coming and going along with them.

Motor Trend got cut about 25 years ago, and will never return. I never cared
for Automobile, either. Probable cause I never much cared for David E.
Davis.

Personally, I'm still a C&D fan. Columnists are good, and even articles
about mundane cars can be funny, with good insights. Still like AutoWeek, as
it's about the only one that I keep up-to-date in reading (way behind on the
others). AW classifieds are still good to read every few weeks.

R&T is OK. Peter Egan is fine, but I find that I don't read a lot of the
articles & tests. This one could get cut at the renewal.

One of my favorites was Excellence, which is a Porsche magazine. For anyone
into Porsches, it had a great mix of technical and stories.

I would suggest Sport Compact Car, which I also like a lot. I had a 1-year
subscription that just lapsed. It may very well come back when R&T gets cut.
In reality, there s more useful information for the SHO in SCC than there is
in any of the traditional hot rod or musclecar mags.