[Shotimes] '95 ATX cold start fuel problem

Jon Heese shotimes@jonheese.com
Mon, 03 Apr 2006 18:12:31 -0400

Sorry in advance for the cross-post.

I have a cold-start fuel delivery problem with my '95 ATX:

I can either crank it for ~4 seconds while it stumbles like there's air
in the lines, or just prime the pump for ~4 seconds (key on, wait for
hum to stop, key off, key on, wait for hum to stop, key off, key on,
wait for hum to stop, crank, starts immediately), so my issue is
definitely fuel-related.

I replaced the pump and filter with new units a few months ago and the
problem just got steadily worse.  I don't remember when I noticed it,
but I can actually hear the pitch of the pump's hum lower when it's
ready to crank.  If the car's been sitting less than 10 minutes since
shutdown, it'll only take one prime to start it, otherwise it's a full 3
primes.  Seems like the lines are draining and I'm priming the air out
of the system for the first ~4 seconds.

Once it's running, there are no fuel delivery issues, not a single
stumble or miss, perfectly smooth.  I'm pretty sure I've got a set of
fuel pressure gauges somewhere, but I'm in the process of moving, so I
haven't tried to climb that mountain yet.

Does the FPR sound like a likely suspect here?  Again, the problem is
only present on cold start, never while running or within 5-10 minutes
of shutdown.

Another hint: for the first 5-10 minutes after shutdown, there is a
strong fuel odor under the middle section of the car (just under the
driver's seat maybe).  No liquid leaking, but definitely fumes from
somewhere...

Anyone have any other tests I can do to narrow down the field (short of
finding a set of gauges)?

Regards,
Jon Heese