[Shotimes] Semi-OT: '95 SLO Charging system

Jon Heese shotimes@jonheese.com
Mon, 03 Apr 2006 21:49:12 -0400

Man, I'm just not having good luck with my cars today.  I just posted
about my '95 ATX with the fuel delivery problem, and now my '95 Vulcan
SLO has decided to stop charging the battery...

While the car is running I had funky radio "skipping" when I turned the
headlights on and the dash lights were way too dim (the dash clock was
very dim and faded out from left to right).  So I charge the battery
with jumper cables from my dad's truck.  After removing the cables, the
dash lights/radio are back to normal.  Voltmeter on the battery says
12.52V (engine off).  Low, but it's not been charging long, so not a
very good test.

Start the car, voltmeter on the battery says 12.15V.  Great, so it's
definitely not receiving any charge from the alternator.

So I pulled the alternator and took it to AZ (apparently it's illegal
for them to test it on the car in my county, go figure) and it passed
all three tests (alternator, rectifier, regulator).  Okay, pop the alt
back in.

Next, I checked the battery with a load tester: showed ~11-12V under
load, which is in the green area of the tester (it's only about 2 years
old).  Okay, so it's not the battery.

Interestingly, after putting the alternator back in and letting it run
for a minute or two then shutting it off, the battery reads 12.29V.
While idling, it shows 12.50V, goosing the throttle jumps it to ~12.75.
  So now it *is* charging, just not very much.  Maybe I knocked some
crap loose on the alt connections?

So I test resistance from the pos battery terminal to the big alternator
cable terminal: ~4 ohms.  Resistance from the battery pos terminal to
the megafuse is also ~4 ohms (as a reference, my meter shows ~0.3 ohms
touching the probes together).  Seems like the alt cable resistance is a
bit high, but it's not like I can just swap it out, it's all in the
wiring harness...

Ideas?  Thoughts?  Anyone?

Regards,
Jon Heese