[Shotimes] PCV (was Throttle body gasket)

Mark Mucher mmucher@bellsouth.net
Sun, 9 Apr 2006 13:10:15 -0400

Paul,

If you will remember <G>, I finished a double treatment of Auto-Rx to solve
the front seal dripping problem.

It's worse now!

I don't blame Auto-RX for that - it's just not an option at this point!

Thanks,

Mark

  _____

From: Paul Nimz [mailto:pnimz@v8sho.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 12:58 PM
To: `V6 SHOtimes; 'Mark Mucher'
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] Throttle body gasket

The large hose that enters the back of the TB is from the oil separator in
the valley under the LIM.

Here's my take on your situation.  First the V6 SHO motor relies solely on a
venturi effect to provide PCV ventilation.  A less than effective means vs.
the normal PCV valve and intake vacuum setup.

So I would assume over the years that the carbon has built up behind your
rings and the crankcase blowby is creating excessive pressure, more than the
anemic Yamaha PCV system can overcome.  This will cause blowing out of the
seals, also pushes oil into the plug wells.

Although new seals will help before I went through all that trouble I would
first use two treatments of Auto-RX.  First it will clean the rings as well
as the entire oil circulation paths, this reducing the blowby, and second
will soften the seals by pulling the impregnated carbon out of them.

Paul

On 4/9/2006 11:14:52 AM, Mark Mucher (mmucher@bellsouth.net) wrote:
> Thanks again, Paul
>
> OK - the throttle body is off (filthy as expected, but not more than
> expected...) and there is no restriction in the PCV ports that I could
> find.
>
> The big one is wide open, but the hose that goes from it to under the
> intake is now my area of concern.
>
> I tried to get my lips around it - SHUT UP! <G> - and it seems OK, but I
> couldn't get a good lock, plus it disappears into the bowels under the
fuel rail.

> Where does it go? What are the possible areas of restriction?  I tried to
RTFM, but I can't
> find anything - perhaps
> it's in the emissions FM?
>
> Maybe I should just vent the hose from the front cam cover to the open
(ducking flak from tree huggers) for a while to see if that helps. But it
just goes into the intake behind the throttle body and ports into the TB
where, again, I could find little or no restriction. I CAN blow from the cam
cover end of that hose thru the TB, but not without a little restriction.

> Finally, there is a small hose near the IAB the goes to a solenoid and
then to the canister (I think). That is blocked (with the motor and ignition
off), but that's