[Shotimes] Clutch replacement in NH/MASS - recommendations?

krazgeo@comcast.net krazgeo@comcast.net
Sat, 15 Apr 2006 21:22:31 +0000

From: "Mark Mucher" <mmucher@bellsouth.net>

> George,
>
> Are you talking about mine or Lee's (280K!)?
>
> Mark

Well..both of yours went WAY farther than mind did.  But his, with 280K miles on the original clutch....!!  That's amazing!!  My most recent clutch (installed in 2000) with ceramic TOB only lasted right around 100K, and I don't abuse it.

I need to clarify "lasted right around 100K"...the TOB is still good...feels almost like new, maybe a little roughness once in a while.  The disc is good, too, but the PP apparently has broken a strap, parking the car permanently, since with 293K it is not really worth putting another clutch in.  Lately, in driving it around from work spot to storage to work spot, keeping the revs below 3K, it works fine.  But I know the instant I get on it hard, or get on the interstate and cruise, it will start making noises again.

So, both of you went at least as far as a typical properly designed clutch should go in a street car, but then his going 200K miles more.  That's a LOT of miles for any car clutch.

George