[Shotimes] Clutch replacement in NH/MASS - recommendations?

Ron Porter ronporter@ameritech.net
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 02:27:35 -0400

AFAIK, there was no "interim fix" clutch. It's the same clutch until they
came out with the bigger, heavier one.

I put a lot of miles on my '89, and the clutch died in the spring/summer of
'90 (with about 30K o it). Nothing was known at the time about it, except my
Ford buddy told me that they f-d up the clutch from Day 1, and he predicted
that mine was going when the pedal got stiffer.

Anyway, the recall clutch came at the right time 1.5 years later, and the
2nd lightweight was starting to go out with about 25K on it. Followed the
same pattern as the original.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Leigh Smith
Sent: Sunday, April 16, 2006 1:37 AM
To: krazgeo@comcast.net; shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Clutch replacement in NH/MASS - recommendations?

George;
I bought the '89 with 50k on it and was told it had just had the clutch
recall done. I checked it later and it turns out it was the interim fix HD
clutch, but still the small diameter. (Rev'd much better than my 94) That
clutch went another 230k miles, when Russ drove it away to RCM in PGH. The
way it felt though, either the marcel had died, or the clutch lining was
gone. It still didn't slip at full power, or chatter, and never got a stiff
pedal. Mostly highway miles at 80mph at 24k  / yr. I had more trouble with
the rear calipers than that clutch!
Lee