[Shotimes] Rear Wheel Bearings 89

Rich Bruso shoguy_89@cox.net
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:26:29 -0400

> Well that sure is worth trying.  If it works I could get
> my AC fixed now and put the bearing off till later.
>  Thanks!
> 89 SHO, 0-60 6.6, 1/4 mile 15.2
> 84 Corvette, 0-60 6.7, 1/4 mile 15.1

   As you've heard already, the rear bearings on the '89 are different.  They're old-style tapered roller bearings, instead of sealed units.  As a result, not only can you try tightening them, but you can also take them out to clean and repack them, which isn't a bad idea at all.  At that time, you can also inspect the races for excessive/unusual wear.
   The SHO/Corvette number comparison is nice.  I remember my 4th grade teacher got a brand new '84 (in red, of course), which was quite a car for a grade school teacher to be buying.  That was the first Corvette I rode in.
   The last '84 I rode in was on an autocross (I was passenger) and I remember thinking my SHO was still more entertaining on the course.

-Rich Bruso
89 Black (Lola)
89 Silver (parts)
Sierra Vista, AZ