[Shotimes] (OT) Media Blasting

Ron Porter ronporter@ameritech.net
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:46:55 -0400

Pure FYI.

I thought this could be of interest to some folks. There was a question on
the 911 list about using blasting to clean surfaces. FWIW, Stan has a shop
in Dallas, so those n the area may want to check out his site at the link
below.

From: wilden1@gmail.com [mailto:wilden1@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 1:50 PM
To: 911/993/996
Subject: [911] Re: Media Blasting

I've got some experience with Blasting since I perform blasting duties
every day.
The best media for removing paint is Aircraft Paint Stripper. It removes
the paint and leaves the OEM surface there.
As alternates you can use plastic media (Ford uses it on all recall paint
jobs) The plastic is ground up buttons or special plastic shapes. It also
doesn't damage the galvanize.
As alternate 2 you can use #10 glass beads. It'll remove the paint and not
damage the underlying galvanized surface.
I would never use abrasive blast media on anything unless it was a last
resort to remove very heavy rust prior to welding or patching.

RLM:  050725-6462
Stan Wilder
http://www.engineceramics.com/