[Shotimes] Re: Semi OT - Insurance rates/Credit Rating

G Kerby Haltom g.kerby@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:02:36 -0700 (PDT)

It all comes down to the thing that insurance companies do better than  most anybody else, make money.  If they can use the credit score  as an excuse to stick it to you more, they will.  Back in the  early 90s I had car insurance with Aetna.  they decided they  wweren't making enough money in Texas, so they pulled out of the  market.  Now, all of their former policy holders were immediately  put into the high risk category because their policies had been  cancelled.  Didn't matter why they had been cancelled.  And  yes, I'm still bitter about that one...

  Kerby

Mark Nunnally <marknunnally@joimail.com> wrote:  >You about always get better rates when you carry multiple lines (car & home)
>with one company.

We had a multi-line with State Farm to, LM's multi-line quote was roughly 1/2 what SF was

>Well, except I would NEVER get Geico, nor would I get Progressive again. On
>had Progressive on motorcycles years ago, and had no issues, but others
>have.

Had  a buddy in NY who had a few bike mishaps with progressive, and had  nothing but praise with their service. Like most things, it's probably  the actual person (with insurance, your agent) who you deal with.

Back  to the credit thing, it's probably just a statistics things. They base  just about everything on that, anything that doesn't line up, they  transfer the risk ($$) to you. I recently did a term life policy and  got bumped from super preffered rates, to prefferred rates, simply  because of a past cancer history in my dad from 15 yrs ago (he was  treated successfully). they look for stuff like that under age 60. what  irks me about that, is my sister's husband just got super preffered  even though his dad died at 62. So I've got a healthy father who's  alive, and I get bumped down a column. Beyond that, I don't buy too  much into the family history gig, it's mostly your lifestyle and how  you treat your body, stuff my dad did early on in contributed to that.  but, they still look at statistics and transfer the risk to you...

mark