[Shotimes] Semi (OT) Brake Pad Review

Ron Porter ronporter@ameritech.net
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 19:07:00 -0400

I did a brake job on the LGT. Being a new model, there are still not a lot
of available pads. I was looking for something more track-oriented this time
around. I have liked the Porterfield R4S in the past, and I was also
interested in the EBC Reds after having driven Kirk's Shodown with them a
few years ago, and Larry Eck's positive response.

Well the Reds were n/a, so I decided to go with Carbotech Panther Plus pads:

http://www.carbotecheng.com/prod-ct-compounds.htm

The Carbotech Bobcat appear to be replacements for the former "F" pads, as
well as being comparable to the Porterfield R4S and the Hawk HPS pads.

Bottom line.....these are the BEST pads that I have ever used!! This is
after about 750 street miles.

As a rough comparison on a 10-scale for street "feel" (not counting pad feel
after a track session....which I will find out next week at Gingerman).

Stock Gen 1-2 brakes would be a "1"
Stock Gen 3 brakes would be a "3"
Gen 3 brakes with R4S pads and rear bias plugs would be a "4"
Stock Legacy GT (LGT) brakes would be a "5"
My former 911 would be a "10".

With the Panther+ pads, the LGT is now an 8-9!! Pedal feel is very close to
the 911, but would probably never match it due to the power assist (versus
straight manual brakes on the 911) as well as the weight difference.

FWIW, the LGT has 2-piston front brakes with 12.3" rotors, and 11.3" rotors
on the rear.

The brakes and lines are stock. I used Valvoline Synth fluid.

Comments:

You need to use new rotors, or cleaned-up rotors, and follow the bedding
directions that come in the box (thanks for smooth country roads and 55 mph
speed limits @ 10:30PM on a Friday night!!). After bedding-in, the pads
deposit a layer on the rotors that is essential for good operation.

And yes, as the description says, they are dusty (think Audi/BMW-pad dusty)
and they squeal a bit when hot. No BFD for me, as the braking power is well
worth it.

Highly recommended!!

Ron Porter