[Shotimes] OT reverse osmosis

Ron Porter ronporter@ameritech.net
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 19:17:18 -0400

I'm on a well, so water usage is irrelevant to me. The amount of waste water
is not that much. Still well worth it for drinking, and still a lot cheaper
than buying bottled water (which is mostly RO water anyway for the cheapest
stuff). You could always save the waste water out of the RO system to water
your plants.

Reverse osmosis is generally just done for a faucet or two for drinking
purposes. You can get the canister-type filter setups that go down to 5
microns that pull out a lot of crap for a whole-house filter.

I run one of those filters after the softener and the charcoal filter, but I
use a 30 micron filter, just to pull out big stuff as the charcoal residue.

Back when we had the stuff hooked up in '99, we asked about a whole-house
reverse osmosis setup then. The ballpark quote was $15K.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Mike Wojton
Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 5:07 PM
To: Times List SHO
Subject: [Shotimes] OT reverse osmosis

I've been reading up on these systems a little bit today.  It seems that a
reverse osmosis system generates a good deal of waste water compared to the
clean water you actually get.  It has to do with the process itself.
Something about generating the pressure against the regular osmosis that
wants to happen so it will work to clean the water of impurities and keep
the salt out of the water.  Anyways, water around here is kinda expensive.
I'd have to do some research on systems and prices in the immediate area
here, but do you guys see higher water usage because of the RO system?

Ideally, I would like a whole house system, not just a faucet or two.  I
don't like washing my clothes or standing under the water in the shower
either.  We were spoiled in Toledo for water prices.  Toledo sat on Lake
Erie, and that's where the intake was.  Consequently, water was cheap.
Ain't so here.

--
Mike Wojton
Dover, PA