[Shotimes] new y-pipe purchase

Ron Childs rbchilds@pacbell.net
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 21:52:00 -0700 (PDT)

I believe that catless exhaust without backpressure will indeed cost low end torque. The method, I think, is that fuel/air mixture will blow out the exhaust valve during the valve overlap period.

Tuning with an LPM can help compensate at lower RPMs but the engine is not running correctly by just enrichening the mixture and adjust spark timing. Catless can be an advantage at high RPM by reducing backpressure when backpressure is highest. Tuning would be needed to take advantage.

Your engine could lose low end torque but gain in peak horsepower.

-Ron

Jon Heese <shotimes@jonheese.com> wrote: Hmmm...  Sounds to me like you two may not be in disagreement.

Adam says that SHO engines do not require backpressure to make power. He
doesn't actually say that removing the cats (and thus the backpressure)
from a stock SHO engine won't decrease the power output.

Put simply, I think he's saying that the engine doesn't require
backpressure to make full power, it requires agreement between the ECU
and the exhaust path.

Here's a quick breakdown of a potential situation that jibes with both
of your positions:

Stock ECU + cats = good power
Stock ECU + no cats = loss of power
Custom ECU + no cats = good power

Bear in mind that I'm just looking at theory here, but please correct me
if I missed something.

Regards,
Jon Heese