[Shotimes] (semi-OT) The Breakup

van Oss van Oss" <vanOss@centurytel.net
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:18:12 -0500

As some of you know I maintain a 93 LX wagon 3.8L on behalf of an indigent
family.

The car developed an oil leak resulting from a rusted steel oil pan, and I
just dropped that pan.  And as it came down I thought, "OMG, I'm going to do
the rod bearings, I can't believe it."  I am also thinking of doing the
tranny pan gasket, filter, and flush while I'm in there.  This car has 124K
on it.  The head gaskets, radiator, and many other weak points have been
replaced.

My real question is, how do you decide when it's time to stop sinking money
into the car you know, make a break, and start a new relationship with
another car that you don't know?

People who don't work on their own cars have it easier.  The moment comes
when they're facing a big bill, and that makes it easier to make a clear
choice.  We who buy parts a few at a time have a harder time on the slope,
it seems.

VO