[Shotimes] Rod Bearing Change @190K miles

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 18:43:24 -0600

Ron,

The damaging part of lugging an engine is big throttle openings at very
low speeds in high gears.  Unless the transmission is just
malfunctioning, there just isn't any way to do this.

OF course it is possible to have low speeds at low rpm's, but there is
no throttle opening.

I really don't want to get into another long argument but I am 100%
positive that what we traditionally call lugging is just not possible at
all with an automatic.  Your statement proves it actually, you say they
don't use enough throttle pressure.  Right there it is.  Without big
throttle openings or at least beyond idling, it really isn't possible to
lug an automatic.  Plus at very low speeds, any normal transmission will
downshift.

Don Mallinson