[Shotimes] Moonroof Problems

Doug Barrett shotimes@dbthegreat.dyndns.org
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:23:19 -0600

I used some anti-seize lubricant on mine, in the channel that the moon roof
travels in (the 'halo' I believe it's called).  If you open the moon roof
and look down from the top, you will see the part where the track rides
because the metal will be slightly polished.  That's where to grease.  The
guys at the local dealership were going to charge me almost $1300 to replace
the moon roof when I figured this out for myself.

For question 2: I had the switch break off also and fixed it with some
'regular' 2-part plastic epoxy.  I made sure and drilled some holes through
the plastic on the switch and really roughed up the console side to make it
stick.  It's been holding for almost 2 years now.

Doug B
'93 Silver/Black Leather ATX
'91 White/Black Leather MTX

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Jim & Debbie Leyden
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2006 2:44 PM
To: TechSHO@topica.com; shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] Moonroof Problems

  On my wifes car (~300k Miles) The moonroof has been getting extremely slow
in operating.  I replaced the motor using a spare that I had pulled from the
rolled '94 I bought for parts and the problem remains the same if not
slightly worse.  So, the first question is: How do you lubricate the
mechanism that allows the moonroof to operate?

Second question is, does anyone know what the material is that the moonroof
console is made from? I have had both the mount and the switch break off
once before and now the switch is loose again.  It seems that the epoxy I
used doesn't adhere to the plastic well.  If I could find out the material I
could purchase the correct glue/solvent to do a permanent fix

Thanks,
Jim