[Shotimes] Drove the new Fusion

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:46:49 -0500

For the auto trannies that I have had up here in snow country, I have never
found one that works better with a 2nd-gear start, especially if you don't
have a limited-slip diff. I have always found it easier to modulate the
drive-wheel rpm using 1st/Low gear. Once the tire starts spinning n 2nd,
it's worse. A light touch just off-idle in 1st/Low worked for me. My last
two ATs were like this ('99 SHO, '86 Z28 with no LSD). In my wife's Del Sol,
torque from the 1.5 engine is low off idle, so it just motors out on slick
stuff.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of G Kerby Haltom
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 2:11 PM
To: Dave Kegel; 'Shotimes@autox. team. net'
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] Drove the new Fusion

I would use it mostly to either keep in in 2nd for  starting in slick
conditions, or to keep it out of OD in either hills  or towing or getting
ready to pass on a two lane road.  Most autos  shift too slow for me in that
situation.  I do that with Dad's  LS.  hold it in 3rd, start the pass and
then let it go back to D  and do the rest itself.

  The best shift it yourself auto I have driven so far has been the  Mini.
6 speed auto with paddles on the wheel.  Shifts  quickly and firmly.  Not as
good as a manual, but not horrible.

  Kerby

Dave Kegel <d.kegel@comcast.net> wrote:  I don't know, do people really use
those "shifters" for their auto
tranny cars?  I know when I'm driving an automatic trans-equipped car
the last thing that comes to mind is "shifting" it.  If I wanted to
shift, I'd be driving a stick.  So for me personally, I could care less
about that feature.

Dave