[Shotimes] Drove the new Fusion

G Kerby Haltom g.kerby@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:40:32 -0800 (PST)

Autoextremist.com had a blurb on it.  You can  read my comments in their e-mail section.  Changing the Zephyr to  MK Z is moronic.  Actually, the whole MK whatever naming scheme is  stupid.

  But the engine is going to help...

  Kerby

Ron Porter <ronporter@prodigy.net> wrote:  Here's the story on the Zephyr-becoming-MK Z, as well as the availability of
the 3.5 V6 when it is available:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060207/AUTO01/602070403&
SearchID=73235651498204

or

http://tinyurl.com/9vrnt

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of G Kerby Haltom
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 12:28 PM
To: Donald Mallinson; 'v8sho'; Shotimes@autox. team. net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Drove the new Fusion

I've seen more Fusions here than 500s, and the 500  has been for sale a year
longer.  It really isn't a bad looking  car, especially in darker colors.
I'm surprised they have no way  to shift the tranny.  It should be the same
one that is in the  Mazda.  I wonder if they will put the 3.5L V-6 in it
when that  comes out.  The 500 really needs that engine just to compete with
the Camry.  Life is bad when a Camry will out run you...

  Kerby

Donald Mallinson  wrote:  Got a chance to take a new
Fusion V6 out for a drive yesterday.

I have to say it is a nice car.  Based on the Mazda 6, it seems to have
a bit more room inside, I think they stretched the platform a little.

I was a bit disappointed that in the top version, there is NO provision
for shifting the tranny, no wheel buttons, no detents on the shifter
other than D and L.   No autostick option.  Not that most people use
one, but it would be nice to have some nod to the enthusiast.

Build quality looks very good, lots of interior room for the class, and
good trunk space.  Power is good, but I would not say it was a
replacement for the SHO.  I would go for one of these possibly if they
were to bring power level up some, but the base suspension seemed quite
good.

All up price is right at $25,000 with every option available.

All in all, a pretty nice car for Ford to offer.  Would be nice if it
could have been an all American design, but using chassis and expertise
from a corporate cousin is why Ford bought into Mazda, to get some of
that to use elsewhere.  It is a good addition to Ford and probably the
best sedan they offer right now.

Don Mallinson