[Shotimes] Gas smell in car

clubairth@bellsouth.net clubairth@bellsouth.net
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:44:36 -0600

Joe:
 You evaporative emission system is plugged or you have a broken/leaking
hose. Is the CANP (CANister Purge) solenoid still working and is you
charcoal canister saturated with fuel? These are both located in the front
drivers side of the engine compartment. The CANP valve is attached to the
vacuum hose coming off the frontside of the manifold just behind the
throttle body. The hose then disappears down into the engine compartment but
the CANP is attached to this and then the hose continues to the charcoal
canister. The charcoal canister is a black round plastic canister with
several hose going into it. When this valve fails the canister just keeps
absorbing gas fumes until it can hold no more. The CANP valve allows the
engine to draw out the gas fumes from this canister as you drive around and
is controlled by the engine computer. The CANP will set a code so be sure
and run you codes first.

 You gas cap could be bad also. Do you get a small whoosh when you unscrew
the cap?

 The gas tank vents could also be plugged but this is more rare. Possible
damage to the plastic lines running from the tank to the front of the car?