[Shotimes] OT: Saddest thing at the Olympics today

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 22:43:19 -0600

Did you see the finals of the ladies snowboardcross today (Friday).

American Lindsey Jacobellis had it won easily and showboated on the next
to last jump.  She fell and was lucky nobody was close, because she was
at least able to salvage Silver.

But that wasn't the saddest thing.  What was, was watching it all sink
in as her competitior celebrated just a couple of feet in front of her.

Jacobellis stood there, hands down, head drooping, stock still, facing
her competitor.  People swarming around the winner, happy, and joyous.
Through the dark goggles and all that baggy clothing it was so clear
that her heart was breaking.  NOBODY came to comfort her or celebrate
winning silver.  She was more alone at that moment than I have ever seen
anyone.

Like a lot of people I was a bit annoyed with her for blowing it like
the football player that celebrated and was denied the touchdown, but as
I watched her literally meltdown, I knew I was watching something very
intimate, something supremely sad.  A moment that was lost on the people
at NBC sports.

Later NBC reviewed the run, over and over, showed her when she removed
her goggles, her eyes were sad, she had cried tears, she said the right
things, and she had come to terms at least a little with the reality.

I am a former broadcaster though, and the image of her standing just
inches from the celebration that should have been hers was the real
money shot for the broadcasters.  Maybe it is best they haven't realized
what they have.  It might not be as special if we were to watch it even
one more time.  Moments like that should not become fodder for the
opening of a sports program.

Don Mallnson