[Shotimes] Backup Power

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 16:28:23 -0500

That's fine for general home use, but not necessarily the sump pump. What if
a storm knocks out power when you are on vacation during the summer? You may
not be home for many days.

If I were on city water, I would definitely get a water-pressure backup
pump. If I get some (well, a bunch!!) of spare cash, I have looked at
Generac whole-house generators that run on natural gas. Yeah, about $5-6K
installed, but with a few outages that we've had for a few continuous days,
it could be a good investment.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Bill Strobel
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2006 8:58 AM
To: Times List SHO
Subject: [Shotimes] Backup Power

If what you are protecting is important then the best back up power supply
would be a small gas powered generator with an electric start.  You set it
up so that it automatically starts during a power interruption.  This can be
variably timed so that a minor power outage won't set it off but anything
over a minute or so will.  The big thing to remember is regular maintenance
on the system.  Once a month runs for 10-20 minutes check the starting
battery.  If you do that then you'll have enough power for the house besides
your pumps.  Honda or any good generator manufacturer can set you up with
what you need.

Bill Strobel
Independent Towing
Fayetteville NC