[Shotimes] Need Help --- No Start --- Distributor? (ot)

van Oss van Oss" <vanOss@centurytel.net
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 20:09:38 -0600

I knew you would be The Ancient One who would deliver unto me The Ancient
Knowledge.

Sincere thanks.

VO

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Fourchy" <krazgeo@comcast.net>
To: <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2006 8:07 PM
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Need Help --- No Start --- Distributor? (ot)

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 16:45:39 -0800, Mike wrote:

>Recalling ancient memories........turn the engine over until you're on the
>compression stroke on No.l, just before TDC.  This is when the plug will
>fire, and the rotor will be just approaching the no.1 contact in the cap.
>The gear will turn as it goes into the engine, so allow some extra when you
>insert it; a couple times and you wil figure it out.

This is basically correct, but needs some expanding.   SHUT UP, JVO...this
is for
YOUR benefit!!!!

The distributor can be a tooth or two off from where it was before....the
limiting
factor in the old days was the location of the vacuum advance diaphragm.
Now that
there is none, it should be able to go in any which way.

1/.  To find #1 cylinder's proper TDC, you need to remove the valve cover,
and
rotate the engine so that the timing mark lines up when both valves have
been closed
for at least 1/2 revolution...this is the compression stroke.  If one rocker
closes
just before the other one opens, with the piston at TDC, you are at the end
of the
exhaust stroke, and it will not fire.

2/. With the crank damper perfectly lined up with the TDC timing mark (or at
the 10
degree before point, if that is known), after performing #1 above, find the
#1 plug
wire in the distributor cap (with the cap on the distributor).  The rotor
needs to
point to the contact for the #1 plug tower when that piston is at TDC.
Orient and
insert the distributor so that the rotor will point close to the #1 tower
when it is
fully seated in the block, after engaging the oil pump driveshaft....this is
assuming Ford V-6 engines lubricate like V-8s.

3/. Then, after the distributor is fully seated, rotate it as necessary to
insure
that the rotor is under the contact for the #1 plug tower.  You need to
remember
where the rotor is pointed, since the cap is on.  The engine should start
now, but
the timing will probably be very retarded.  With the distributor hold down
clamp
loose enough to allow the distributor to turn and stay put when released,
adjust the
timing so that the engine idles easily.  Set it with the light, or it can
now be
power timed if you want.....I've not done this with computerized engines, so
don't
know if it will work, but with regular vacuum/mechanical advance, you can
adjust the
timing by listening for ping under full acceleration, and retarding until
the
pinging goes away.  That was how I got 30+ MPG with the stock '65 289.  It
might not
work with EEC-IV, but it should.

George