[Shotimes] OT: Bad Solenoid

Techpriest techpriest@ourlair.com
Sat, 3 Jun 2006 18:45:32 -0500

Replacing a solenoid is cheap, but checking a solenoid can get expensive :)

I had an 86 AMC Eagle Wagon and after working on it I could not get it to
start.  Same symptoms as described by Rick, no starter when you turn the
key, but seemed to have juice otherwise.  Thought I would check the solenoid
by shorting it with a pair of plyers.  The car started right up, then drove
away.  The reason it would not start was because the tranny was in Drive!  I
watched helplessly as the 5500lbs station wagon drove through my garage
door.  It went through the garage, and hit the back wall, pushing it out but
stopping the car.  I had to climb in the rear-passanger window to get to the
ignition to shut the car off.  The car lost one of it's side mirror and had
some scratches, but the garage, and much of the stuff I had in it,
definately lost that fight.

Yeah, I know your not laughing at me, your laughing with me.  Did I mention
already that I am not a mechanic?

> Yes.  Definitely the solenoid.  Easy and cheap fix, about $10.
>
> Dave

89 MTX SHO "TEKPRST"
89 SHO, 0-60 6.6, 1/4 mile 15.2
86 Eagle Wagon, 0-60 15.8, 1/4 mile 20.5