[Shotimes] Running an ATX Car on the Track

Ron Porter ronporter@ameritech.net
Mon, 5 Jun 2006 15:19:56 -0400

The "fluid puking" seems to be more of a Gen 3 issue. The Gen 3 guys like
the Gen 2 tranny cooler. The Gen 3, with the tight packaging, seems to have
more cooling issues on the track.

IMNSHO, the biggest issue with the ATX at a track is that it isn't in the
right gear coming out of corners, which I found to be very frustrating with
my Gen 3 at Road Atlanta and Hallett.

Thunderhill, being a long track without as many turns as "normal" tracks,
seems to be better. Now, A Gen 3 (Scott, who has acknowledged tranny
issues)and one Gen 2 ATX (who I believe had not done a fluid change before
the event) that I recall had fluid boiling issues, but that was it.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Alan Fanning
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 3:07 PM
To: SHOtimes
Subject: [Shotimes] Running an ATX Car on the Track

I'm considering whether to sign up our '95 ATX for the track day at the
convention. One of the issues I recall hearing about at Thunderhill was ATX
fluid temps getting so high that the fluid was puked out of the tranny.

I"m game to put a tranny cooler on the car, but when I look in front of the
radiator it looks like Ford put one there for me already. Is that a standard
ATX piece of hardware and, if so, why the problem with fluid temps on track
days? Is it just not adequate?

    Alan