[Shotimes] ATX Shifter Question

Alan Fanning Awfanning@earthlink.net
Mon, 05 Jun 2006 22:46:54 -0700

A short while back, I wrote about an electrical problem I was having after
replacing the blend door actuator. Turns out I'd pinched some wires when
re-installing the steering column the second time - after having to remove
the dash again to extract the socket I'd dropped down the defroster vent
during the first install. Some jobs are better left to the pro's! ;-)

Anyway, I've got the dash re-installed and the electrical gremlins fixed, so
today we have a new problem: I can't shift out of Park - or at least I
couldn't until I disconnected the mechanism that locks the tranny lever in
park. This is all without the console attached, btw.

So, the shifter is held in Park as a result of a steel "pin" (for lack of a
better term) that appears to be pulled into position by a single wire that
goes forward from the shift mechanism towards the dash. When you push the
little button on the shift lever, this steel pin is supposed to be pushed
down out of the way by a plastic rod that runs down the ID of the shift
lever, but it wouldn't budge for me until I disconnected the little wire.

Anybody know what this wire goes to under the hood and what allows it to
release? Seems like it might be actuated by the brake pedal being depressed,
but even starting the car and putting my foot on the brake pedal didn't
cause it to release.

Thanks.

    Alan