[Shotimes] (OT) FRS/GMRS Radios for Convention Use

Ron Porter ronporter@ameritech.net
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:27:35 -0400

FYI, for Convention folks.

FWIW, I've had a set of 14-channel Cobra FRS radios since '00. I bought them
after seeing the usefulness on the mountain drive at the '99 Convention in
Atlanta.

They are the old 4-AAA battery models that eat batteries quickly.

Anyway, since then, we have used the FRS channel corresponding to the SHO
Convention number as our channel for caravans and other SHO Convention
events. We have dropped using CB radios.

We are obviously up to the 15th SHO Convention, and the old radios don't
work on Channel 15. Didn't matter to me, as I was irritated with the old
radios that sucked up batteries, and had the low range.

There are a number of the 22-channel radios out there, with anywhere from
2-18-mile ranges, for a decent price. Plus, they are rechargeable.

I just ordered a set of Midland radios on Ebay, with an 18-mile range,
headsets, AC chargers, and a DC car charger, for $65 (Model GXT600VP4). I
looked into Cobra and Motorola, but Midland had the better deal for getting
headsets, and both AC and DC chargers (so I can charge them in the car).

These FRS/GMRS radios will carry us through the SHO Convention #22 in 2013,
so I figure that we can worry about what channel to use in 2014 when we get
there!!

Ron Porter