[Shotimes] RE: Convention Caravans, was: (OT) FRS/GMRS Radios for Convention Use

Ron Porter ronporter@ameritech.net
Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:17:42 -0400

I have spent a fair amount of time working in Memphis, so I sorta know my
way around, especially the downtown-out-Poplar route.

I will do I-55 to I-240 and come around the south end (the route that goes
past the airport.....I know that road well) and around to Poplar. That seems
to be the easiest & less-congested route to take.

On the ride from Detroit to Effingham, my car knows that route to Indy and
out I-70 from Indy quite well!! It will probably just be John Semchena and
myself, which is fine, as I want to make time up to Effingham. If there are
folks that want to join up for a caravan on I-57 near Effingham, that would
work fine for the last 300+ miles or so, but I want to make tracks for the
first 480 miles getting to Effingham.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Donald Mallinson
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 4:07 PM
To: ronporter@ameritech.net
Cc: TechSHO@topica.com; 'V8List SHO'; 'Shotimes'
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] RE: (OT) FRS/GMRS Radios for Convention Use

Ron,

I understand, the 57 route makes more sense for you.   The Illinois
state police have been setting up traps on 55 and 57 lately with a car
on a bridge overpass and several chase cars.  Last one I saw was north
of St.  Louis on 55 last Wednesday.

You going to take 55 through the city or 255 around the south end.  255
is a few more miles, but less crowded, plus there is construction in the
middle of the city.  When  I went through 55-44 a week ago, going West
it wasn't bad, but I too the ring road to avoid a back up going east.
Not sure what 55 is like going south out of the city.

Let me know what your planned arrival is at that point, and maybe we can
still meet, although, I will have the trailer, and probably not be
willing to go over 70 at best.  If that is going to cramp your style,
then we won't worry about meeting, I'll just look for the Blue Subie to
blast past me at some point!  :)

Channel 6 if you spot us.

Don Mallinson