[Shotimes] omg omg omg BIG problem

Jason Hartberger jhartberger@mail.com
Wed, 21 Jun 2006 17:46:26 -0400

Ok, so I'm on my way home from work today and I let off the throttle
from a fairly deep position to stop for a red light and the engine makes
a thumping noise. All of a sudden, the hood leaps up about two inches
once, twice, and I can see the engine jumping under it. Then the engine
races to 5K RPM and stays there. OH SHIT! I'm trying to stop for a red
light here, not start a race. I throw the engine in neutral and expect
it to start racing because the throttle is stuck, I can't get it back up
with my foot. After about a second, the throttle releases and the engine
goes down to 2K RPM but stays there. At this point I, now trembling
badly, turn the engine off and turn the hazards on. I get it off onto a
side street and turn the engine back on, and it starts right up, idles,
etc... only at 2K RPM. When I goose the engine there isn't much movement
but when I got under the car and rocked it back and forth I could see
the rear of the engine and tranny moving up a good distance... maybe 6
inches of travel total. I didn't see any fluid leaking, however, which
is what I would think would happen when a rear mount catastrophically
fails. I'm pretty sure it's not the front mount, being as it's brand
new, and it ain't the tranny mount cos that's on the other side of the
engine. Is it possible that replacing the front mount with a solid mount
transferred enough stress onto the (still) weak rear mount to destroy
it? I'm afraid to touch it, I don't know what else broke down there. The
hood has a dent on the underside from where the intake hit it where the
"Ford" logo is.

So, I guess the question is, does anybody have a serviceable rear motor
mount for an ATX? Preferably for less than $110 which I can't afford
because of the rental car I had to get? I'm really thinking of getting
rid of my SHO, I just can't afford to keep two of them running. I love
it but it keeps leaving me stranded and that's not cool. Seriously, how
often do rear mounts blow up? I need to get a car that isn't as
maintenance-intensive (i.e. less powerful) as a daily driver, being in
the military I CANNOT afford to have a car that won't get me to work
every day. They have names for that, like AWOL. Any suggestions?
Ironically, I kinda like the neon I got as a rental... brakes, steering,
handling are all worlds different than the SHO. I guess 11 years and 800
pounds make a difference... *sigh*

Jason