[Shotimes] More on Memphis!

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Mon, 26 Jun 2006 08:50:14 -0500

Ken and I just got back from spending Saturday and Sunday with the SCCA
group in Memphis at the Memphis Motorsports facility.  We wanted to make
sure we had course design, traffic patterns and other information down
pat before the convention week.

We also ran a few laps of their autocross course, and we will use most
elements of what they had for our design, with some additions.  There is
plenty of room for a good 50-60 second course with both fast and slow
elements.  Depending on which timing setup we can get, we could include
a really fast section.

We also watched the RACE ON driving event for a while.  WHAT a fun thing
this will be!  We are needing to add a few more people to make this a
full day event for our people, so if you have been holding off, please
consider this event in addtion to the track day on Wednesday (our track
day is super cheap, we got a deal and passed it along!).  Our price with
Race On is also a lower price than normal.

The track at RACE ON is a wide, smooth 3/4 mile paved track with 12
degree banking in the corners.  THis doesn't sound like a big track, but
trust me, when you stand in it, it is plenty big.  The banking looks
like a lot more than 12 degrees, and is a ball to drive on.

The ride portion uses a Craftsman truck vehicle that looked like a
blast.   Probably at 90% or more of full race speed for that track.

The driving portion is also fun with students alone in the car, and
depending on how much you "push" the instructor in the lead car, you get
to go faster each lap up to a safe, but fun limit of about 120 mph on
the straights!  Trust me, unless you do NASCAR style driving for a hobby
or job, you will be more than happy with the experience!  The cars are
retired, but clean and safe Busch level cars that give you the full
NASCAR experience.

The track is newish, clean and impressive with huge bleachers for the
croweds that watch races there all the time.  The staff at RACE ON is
professional and you get good instruction before your experience.

You can still add this now, and we may be able to add it at registration
at the convention.

If you have questions, check out the RACE ON site at;

http://www.4raceon.com/

Or call me at 877-0444-5504 to talk about it.

Don Mallinson