[Shotimes] 97 brakes question

Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:11:21 -0700

Hi all!  I could sure use some advice.  I am set to get a new wheel
bearing tomorrow and figure out which brakes are pulsing.  here is
the saga, and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last summer my RL brakes overheated so much that the pads melted to the
disc.  I took it into meineke (not happy with the local dealer's
previous work) and they replaced the calipers, etc.

The symptom would be a howling just after releasing the brakes after
they had heated up.

After a week of driving, the howling was still there, though less.  They
adjusted the emergency brake while the car was on the rack.

It still howls, not very often, and usually when cold.  They seem to
think that the wheel bearing has gone due to the overheating.

My brakes are pulsating now too (started in late April) but I am not
sure which wheel yet.  I'm no auto buff, just a geek :)

I have a Fluke IR thermometer so I drove around braking, then measured
the discs.  Between 0-60f hotter on the left wheel (it fluctuates) while
the others are consistent and the same temp (fronts and RR)

Meineke put remanufactured calipers on last summer.

My mileage has been as low as 15mpg in the city, 25hwy.

Could the bearing have gone bad, or am I paying $300 for a new wheel
bearing hub kit
that I don't need?

What is the best way to figure this out?

They also said they fired the guy who adjusted my emergency brake on the
rack, that it should have be done on the ground.

Meineke says they use "A C E bearing hub assemblies" and
the part is $216.

How does this sound?

Thanks :)