[Shotimes] OT: Autocross Pt 2, "Not That Heavy"

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Fri, 03 Mar 2006 09:34:12 -0600

The SHO isn't really any heavier than most of the cars in its segement.
Remembering that a lot of cars "in the segment" don't have near the
interior/trunk room, and few have the structural integrety and safety
record that the SHO does.  That all adds a few pounds.  Once you get
past the compact size cars, 3400 pounds is about the norm, and 4000
pounds is typical for bigger cars these days.  Just like in 1960 for
example!  :)

The Vette does well because it is RWD and much better Front/rear weight
distribution, and later ones have more power.  But you can beat up on
the late 70's and early 80's Vettes a little!  They are real pooches.

But all that doesn't mean you can't have fun.  Forget about how the car
does in its class, if you want to win trophies then get rid of the car
and buy what is winning.  If you want to have fun, you have a VERY fun
car and just getting close is a kick.  My son and I have fun at
autocrosses by finding new ways to kick the back end of the car around.
We just have fun and race each other.  Or like I said, find someone you
respect that is good and consistent, and gauge your progress based on
his times.  Since the course changes every event, you can't go on
overall time, just the difference between your times.  If the course is
longer, then the distance between your relative times will also grow, so
keep that in mind.

let us know how it goes, and go to as many events as you can.
Practice/practice/practice.  You will notice the best drivers take every
lap they can, even the after-event fun runs.

Don Mallinson