[Shotimes] driving pet peeves

Ron Porter ronporter@ameritech.net
Mon, 8 May 2006 12:28:14 -0400

I had ridden a motorcycle for 25+ years on the street without any incidents,
and I call that a different situation. If someone has a headset (especially
Bluetooth) you won't see that from the rear.

One of my pet peeves are people who look into the car next to them as they
pass. Now THAT'S dangerous.

Anyway, receiving a call on a phone, either with a headset, hands-free, or
even using the phone, is IMHO no more distracting than talking to passengers
in the car.

They have already done studies that show that the REAL issue is when you are
dialing the phone, and that issue exists with whatever audio setup you have.

From: David Carmean [mailto:dlc-sho@halibut.com]
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 11:50 AM
To: Ron Porter
Cc: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] driving pet peeves

On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 09:57:11PM -0400, Ron Porter wrote:

> I don't at all agree with #1. People are bad-enough drivers anyway. I
think
> that has become the "pet" excuse for folks today (or a complaint of folks
> who don't have a cell phone!). Just driving with a cellphone doesn't
produce
> bad situations. Besides, I rarely notice folks using cell phones....why
are
> all of these people nosing into what's going on in cars next to them??
Same
> with #9.

I commute on a motorcycle.  I am "nosing into" the cars for my own safety.
It is ABSOLUTELY my business what the drivers around me are doing, and if
you don't think so then you are driving in a fantasy world where nobody
is ever injured or killed because of the stupid things other drivers do.

I notice people using cellphones even before I can see the driver;
they're the cars that are slightly out of phase with everybody else.
The ones with traffic backing up behind them in the fast lane.  The
ones who zig when everybody else zags.  The ones who change lanes
without turning their heads toward the side that their phone is
plastered to.  Or, if they're using headsets, the ones talking
with *both* hands.

Ask any other motorcycle commuter.