[Shotimes] HELP: Jitter at steering wheel, major car shake now

Robert Bruce rbruce@bellatlantic.net
Mon, 08 May 2006 20:46:26 -0400

With the vibration getting so much worse in such a short time, go have a shop look at it NOW.  Don't wait until the defective part
actually fails.  You sure don't want to loose all steering and have an accident.  Get it fixed before you hurt yourself or others.

My first guess would be tire related.  Maybe tread separation?

Bob Bruce
92 w/ a mod or two
95 mtx 100% bone stock

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Al&Angela
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 8:19 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] HELP: Jitter at steering wheel, major car shake now

Hello,

I just want to run this by you guys.

---A week ago---

My 94 SHO ATX w/ 137K mls has steering wheel jitter at low speeds (under 45
mph) but the wheel is very solid and steady at high speeds.

When I let go the wheel at low speeds the car stays straight but the wheel
jitters left to right, not a whole lot, perhaps .5 to 1 inch.

When I had the car off the ground I tried moving the front wheels (top and
bottom) vertically, there was no play.

---Today---

The car has gotten worse.  It has a study vibration at highway speeds.

At very slow speeds 10mph when coming to a stop the car shakes slowly side
to side.

Is the steering box going bad? I checked the lug nuts on the car and they
are tight.

Thanks for your advice

a.

PS: This sounds expensive :-)