[Shotimes] OT, Hogs plugged up in Wisconsin!

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Thu, 11 May 2006 15:37:06 -0500

 From Hemmings E-weekly news: (I applaud this to a degree, I
think modest modification is OK, I like slightly louder
exhaust on my cars for example.)  According to this law, my
V8 SHO, actually ALL my SHO's would be illegal, as they all
have turbo style mufflers that increase the noise a little.

I suspect they won't ticket unless you are really making a
racket, but it is an open invitation to stop a LOT of people
that aren't hurting anyone.  But something must be done
about straight pipe Harleys that are used almost as weapons
on the highway.  My left ear would appreciate some restraint
there:

> Quiet hogs, rods in the Badger State
It's a bone of contention throughout the U.S., but nowhere
is it spelled out
more clearly than in Wisconsin: Wisconsin law states that
no person shall modify
the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will
amplify or increase
the noise emitted by the motor above that emitted by the
muffler originally
installed on the vehicle.
> The law applies to all vehicles, but was clearly was written specifically
to address motorcycles (read: Harleys) and street rods,
where straight pipes
are sometimes considered a safety measure, and are always a
considered a means
of personal expression. Any "tampering" that leads to an
increase in volume is
subject to a fine of "between $156 and $181," per instance.
> Specifically, subchapter III (9) of Chapter 347 of the 2005 Wisconsin statutes
states that: " (1) No person shall operate on a highway any
motor vehicle subject
to registration unless such motor vehicle is equipped with
an adequate muffler
in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any
excessive or
unusual noise or annoying smoke. This subsection also
applies to motor bicycles.
(2) No muffler or exhaust system on any vehicle mentioned in
sub.
(1) shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar
device nor shall there
be installed in the exhaust system of any such vehicle any
device to ignite
exhaust gases so as to produce flame within or without the
exhaust system.
No person shall modify the exhaust system of any such motor
vehicle in a manner
which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the
motor of such vehicle
above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on
the vehicle,
and such original muffler shall comply with all the
requirements of this
section..."
> Some other highlights from the statutes mention that while helmets
are not required for motorcycles, goggles are, and that
according to 347.486,
"No person may operate a Type 1 motorcycle if the
handlegrips of the handlebars
rise more than 30 inches above the lowest point of the top
of the drivers seat
when the seat is occupied," so no ape hangers for you, either.