[Shotimes] Re: OT, Hogs plugged up in Wisconsin!

monsieurboo@aol.com monsieurboo@aol.com
Fri, 12 May 2006 11:46:12 -0400

"no person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle..."

They passed a law like this in Hawaii back in about '70.  I had put headers on my '68 Corvair Corsa convertible.  On that car it was like, tuned headers and "stinger" glasspaks connected directly to the collectors.  The entire exhaust systems were roughly about 3 feet stem-to-stern.

I drove it like that for a couple of years without any problems.  Then they did an enforcement and set up some motorcycle cops with dB meters by a major intersection that was underneath the freeway overpass!  With that amount of resonance, sure enough it pegged the meter and I got an equipment violation.

Beat the rap by swapping out the glasspaks for turbo mufflers but it always pissed me off when I thought about how loud those cop Harleys were, when they fired 'em up to chase me that day.

PS -- as the proud owner of a '76 Yammie RD400 full race 2-smoker with expansion chambers, in my experience it makes no difference how loud your bike is.  Dumbasses yakking on their cell phones will turn in front of you or cut you off anyway.

Cheers
Mark LaBarre
94 atx 135k