[Shotimes] RE: OT - Where to put EGT sensor

Ron Porter ronporter@ameritech.net
Fri, 12 May 2006 13:45:35 -0400

I don't see where the minor drag from the turbo bearings would cause more
heat than the turbo would lose through the housing.

The housing is a bunch thicker than the pipe & cat that feed it. I do not
see how it would be possible for the exhaust temp to even be the same
post-turbo as pre-turbo, much less higher.

Ron Porter

  _____

From: Carter Fuji [mailto:carterfuji58@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 1:21 PM
To: ronporter@ameritech.net; 'Paul L Fisher'; 'v8sho';
shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: OT - Where to put EGT sensor

I was always under the impression that the temperatures inside the turbo
were higher then that of the first radius from the exhaust manifold. I had
seen a bench test of a turbo in a Buick engine plant in Michigan back in the
80's that had the actual exhaust side of the turbo glowing red hot after
just a short time running on a stand at a constant RPM. I also remember
looking with amazement at the turbo in the back of several Porsches that
would do the same after a few enthusiastic laps on a road course. My
assumption would be that the slight restriction and energy the gas produces
while spinning up the vanes causes the increased heat, which if there were
any un-burnt VOC in the exhaust would use the Oxygen in the process and skew
the readings to the low side. Just a thought.

Carter

  _____