[v6sho] RE: [Shotimes] Code 214, stalling, missing, no tach.

FlamingTaco FlamingTaco <flamingtaco@earthlink.net>
Sun, 1 Oct 2006 03:22:54 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

>From many years of watching people lose sensors, I've never seen a 211 generated without a 214. We know the logic in the PCM cannot properly identify a loss of CKP - aka - Crank Pulse Signal. We get either nothing, or the confusing combination of bad PIP and CID.

I'm dealing with this myself right now. The SHO gave out on me last week. Got the same two codes, plus one for bad low-pump feed. Tested out both the sensors last night, and it's the CPS that's bad, as expected.

A note about the tach loss issue: When the SHO was flaking out on me last week, the tach would drop right to zero everytime the engine would cut out. It was obvious that the tach signal was being completely lost. HOWEVER, when my cam sensor died two years ago, the tach would drop to zero intermittantly, with no relation to what the engine was actually doing. The symptom was a very short cut out, just enough to cause the engine to "buck". Other have reported this symptom as well for bad CMP's.

The CID does not generate the tach signal according to everything I've seen on the service CD, but it would seem that, in some cases, maybe in certain ECU models, it can affect the transmission of the tach signal. In this case, since there is no 211 code, I would suspect the cam sensor, even though it seems like it should be a crank sensor. Easy to replace, and returnable if you don't damage it.

There are enough confusing abbreviations to go around, no need to go adding new ones. CHK?