[Shotimes] ignition switch fire

George Fourchy krazgeo@comcast.net
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:56:24 -0700

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:41:47 -0700, Kerry Kinion wrote:

>God, what next!  I went out yesterday morning just to start the car and
>warm it up for a bit and my ignition switch under the steering column
>caught fire.  Anybody know what can cause this and part #'s for switch
>and wiring harness?

Yep.....

During the early to mid '90s, there was a huge recall for a bunch of Ford lines
because this was happening all the time.  Of course, Ford convinced the government
that Tauri and Sables were not affected by this problem.  My first '90 SHO,
Lowrider, now retired, almost had this problem in about '92 or so.  I had been
driving it around and was parking it in the driveway.  I shut it down and decided to
move it over to a different spot.  When I tried to start it, it cranked about one
cylinder's worth, and then quit.  The battery was TOTALLY dead in the space of 5
seconds.  I don't remember smelling anything, but it definitely was the ignition
switch.  I had it towed to the dealer which replaced the ignition switch under
warranty.

You'll most likely have to get the wiring harness from a wrecking yard with a pair
of wirecutters.  You can cut and splice everything just up from where the wire
damage is.  The switch itself is probably still available from Ford or aftermarket.

Good luck getting anyone to pay for it though.....remember the Gen 3 cam issue....it
doesn't exist.

George