Greetings

Mark J. Bradakis mjb@autox.team.net
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 01:46:48 -0700

I imagine most of you have completely forgotten about this list,
single-malt@autox.team.net.  But in a couple of weeks I'll be having
some friends over for a potluck dinner, and have sort of promised them
a sample or two.  I dusted off a note another person wrote up for a more
serious tasting that I happened to miss, it is included below.  There may
be a few references to specific people for that specific event, but it has
enough decent information in it to be at least a start of guide to a few
varieties.

Anyone care to comment, elaborate, or just chatter on?

mjb.
----

Single Malt Scotch (Usquebaugh - water of life):

Single malts are very individualistic .  They vary in dryness and
sweetness, fullness and lightness, crispness and roundness, assertiveness
and elegance.  Light and dry aromatic malts may be better before dinner;
fuller, sweeter, rounder ones after; soft malts may be good 'restoratives'
after (during?!) a walk or round of golf, while heavier, smokier ones may
be best at bedtime with a good book.

Single malts are grouped into regions.  The Highlands tend to have a firm,
dry character with some peatiness.  This is the largest region, so there
are regional variations, often grouped into districts. Western whiskies
tend to be smoky and peaty (such as Oban and Talisker).  In the north the
whisky tends to also have a heathery, spicy character (such as
Glenmorangie), while the more sheltered East Highlands and the Midlands
have more of a fruity flavor (such as Dalwhinnie).  The Speyside district
is home to over half of Scotland's malt distilleries and is acknowledged as
the largest whisky producing district, produces malts noted for their
elegance and complexity, some are big and 'sherryish" (such as Aberlour and
Glenfarclas), others are lighter and more subtle (such as The
Glenlivet).  The Lowlands tends to produce amber colored whiskies with a
softer malty flavor (such as Glenkinchie).  Islay whisky tends to be
powerful, peppery, and peaty, noted for their seaweedy, iodine-like
character (such as Laphroaig and Lagavulin).

This short list represents all the major regions and variations - there are
obviously many more out there - and the notes are summarized from Michael
Jackson's Complete Guide to Single Malt Scotch.

Auchentoshan (pronounced Och'n'tosh'n)
Lowland - the only single malt produced in Glascow, matured in bourbon and
sherry casks.  Complex toffee and sherry flavors.  If you fancy single
malts but don't care for intensity, this Three Wood Auchentoshan offers the
perfect answer: subtlety.

The Glen Rothes
Highlands - Speyside.  A rich and sweet whisky.  This one is a vintage
dated malt 1989 (bottled in 2002) and the label boasts "mellow, oak and
dried fruits."  I can personally attest that it is an excellent malt, and I
will try hard to leave some for the rest of you on the 12th!

Lagavulin (16 yr)  $50+
Islay.  Classic dry, smoky and complex Islay whisky (same island where
Laphroaig is distilled) with a full amber color.  Dryness at first is
offset by the sweetness of the sherry character, and then salty notes
emerge.  It has been described as a big, immensely sophisticated
whisky.  Makes an excellent nightcap.

Aberlour (10 yr)  $35+
Highlands - Speyside.  Soft, medium to heavy whisky, with a nutty, spicy
and sherry accented flavor.  Between 25 and 50% is matured in sherry casks,
the rest in Bourbon wood (I knew there was a reason to be thankful for
Bourbon) and then they are combined.  It has a distinctive clinging
mouth-feel, a malty nose, and a soft, smooth, long-lasting flavor.  Very
nice after dinner.

Bowmore (12 yr) $40+
Islay (same island as Lagavulin and Laphroaig).  In both geography and
palate the whiskies of Bowmore are between the intense smoky malts of the
south shore and the gentlest extremes of the north.  Spicy, heathery,
seaweedy, salty, smoky, with leafy notes (ferns?).  In other words, complex.

Oban  (14 yr) $42+
Western Highlands (mainland).  Oban is an aromatic, smoky whisky, with a
slightly viscous body. It has peat characteristics with a smooth
finish.  An after dinner drink.

Talisker (10 yr) $50+
Northwest Highlands (Isle of Skye).  Talisker has been described as a
volcanic, winter warmer.  What the bigger examples of Zinfandel are to
wine, Talisker is to single malt.  It is an amber-red, pungent,
smoke-accented whisky, malty-sweet with a very big pepperiness.  (One of my
favorites, but then I suppose they all are)

Glenfarclas (10 yr)  $40+
Highlands - Speyside.  A bronze, malty, oaky, sherryish whisky, quite dry
for a Glenfarclas.  Has some sweetness, but also smoky, crisp and dry to
begin with the flavor filling out as it develops.  An after dinner whisky.

Highland Park   $40+
Northern Highlands - Orkney.  This whisky has been described as "the
greatest all-rounder" in the world of malt whisky.  It is smoky, heathery,
and malty with a hint of sherry.  Amber in color, it is smooth, round and
full of flavor.  Lovely any time.

Glenkinchie (10 yr)  $40+
Lowlands - about 15 miles from Edinburgh.  Gold, soft, grassy-sweet and
aromatic.  Flowery start, with a big flavor development, becoming spicy and
gently warming at the finish.  An excellent restorative, especially after a
walk in the hills.