[Spits] Gas guage

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Sun Jul 1 15:28:53 MDT 2007

Grant Buss wrote:
> I have a slight problem with my gas gauge. It reads a 1/4 tank off.

Doug Braun replied:

> Either way, you have to remove the old sender, so
> start driving around until the tank is mostly empty...

Doug, I don't quite follow this logic.  Unless a tank is completely
void of all gas *and all gas fumes* an empty tank is as dangerous as
one with fuel in it.  The sender goes into the top so it can be
removed without draining the tank regardless of how much gas the tank
contains.

Grant, I would suggest that before you pull the sender you should
clean all the pertinent electrical connections, especially the one
that goes to the sender.  If it still reads the same way then maybe
it's the float on the sender.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com