[Spits] Disk Rotor removal.. Plan-D

George Pasek pasek001 at umn.edu
Mon Jul 16 16:47:38 MDT 2007

Hello...

Yesterday I decided to remove the disk brakes on my '78 Spit to rebuild the
calipers and replace rotors and wheel bearings.  When I got down to removing
the rotor from the hub I did as the book said.

Remove the 4 bolts holding the rotor to the hub and remove rotor.... Nope...
Rotor won't come Off.

PLAN-B:  Applied a spray of Rust Buster to mating surface between rotor and
hub, smack smartly with mallet... Nope... Rotor won't come Off.

PLAN-C:  Fired up the propain tourch and heat rotor, smack smartly with mallet
.... Nope... Rotor won't come Off.

PLAN-D:  Slip rotor/hub into freezer (when wife wasn't looking) and wait half
hour, Swap out Propane with MappGas, Heat rotor, Smack smartly with
mallet..... POP, Off comes Rotor :-)  Yea !!!....   Miller Time !!

What was Plan-E you ask, a 10 ton bearing press.

Plan-F?  A new hub to replace the one destroyed when Plan-E Failed.

We're Havin Fun Now!

George
'78 "Spiffy"