[Spits] Gas Prices

Kevin Rhodes krhodes1 at maine.rr.com
Thu Nov 8 08:39:28 MST 2007

At 09:37 AM 11/8/2007, Stasyszen, Jerry wrote:
>Actually, in Oklahoma City USA we are paying 3.02 per gallon. And, while gas
>may be equivalent to 8.02 per gallon in the UK you cannot walk across the US
>in a day or two like you can in England. The UK is not a large country, UK
>cars are small and fuel efficient, our dumbass administration refuses to force
>US manufacturers to raise fuel economy standards, (might hurt their profits).
>
>That is what make you think
>Jerry

Why should the Government force companies to make a certain type of
vehicle? Cars in Europe are more fuel-efficient because gas costs
$6-8 gallon. It costs that much because the Governments over there
TAX it heavily. Just like here, car companies sell what people want
to buy. Very few people in America want 1.2l VW's at even $3/gal.
People whine about the cost of gas, then go and buy 10mpg Tahoes.
Obviously, the price of gas is not THAT big a deal to them.

Government interference through fuel economy standards is largely
responsible for the rise of the SUV. Since they were considered
trucks, they were exempt from CAFE calculations. This allowed car
companies to produce the large, heavy, damn-the-fuel-economy
luxo-barges that the American consumer seems to crave. And the were
sooo profitable too. Just a different form-factor. And realistically
- why shouldn't they when gas is so ridiculously cheap here? Handling
dynamics don't matter much in a country where most of the roads are
either dead-straight highways or gridlocked with congestion.

I am all for more expensive gas - I think $5-6/gal will bring a
smattering of rationality to folk's car buying decisions. Of course,
here in the States raising the gas tax is political suicide.

Not that I don't agree with your assessment of our current
administration.... :-)

Kevin Rhodes
Westbrook, Maine
Freddy the Spitfire (~35 mpg on the highway)